Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thanks for your support and comments

First, thank you to all who have donated. As of this morning, we've achieved 15 percent of our goal. Outstanding!

Second, I'd like to thank Sandra for her thoughtful comments. I've asked Ned Walker to respond since he has been to Africa many times and has worked with local communities on bed net projects. While it would be great to buy all bed nets locally, my understanding is that there just aren't enough of them to meet the need. Also, the $10 per net cost through Nothing But Nets includes an education component -- what it is and how and why it works and why it's important to use it every night, as well as general information on how malaria spreads, its symptoms and how it's treated.

I have to admit I'm a little puzzled by your comments about bed nets creating tension. If it's that people will be upset if some households get nets and others do not, that could be valid. But based on my conversations with Ned, aid groups are working with local communities to make sure that everyone who wants a net gets one.

I'm sure that Ned will have more insights for us.

Thanks again to everyone!

No comments: